TD21 Engine removal

For all TD 21, TE 21, TF 21 and TC108G cars
durhamsmudger
Name: Alan Smith

TD21 Engine removal

Postby durhamsmudger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi
I'm looking for some pointers . I want to take the engine & Auto Gearbox out of my series 1 TD21. I lifted engines out of cars with Manual boxs before but never with a fluid coupling.
The engine alone is an impressive lump, so my initial thoughts are to split in situ then remove the engine followed by the gearbox - so

1) Does the fluid coupling come out with the engine or can it be disconnected from the flywheel
2) Where do you lift the engine from , cant see any obvious place for lifting points
3) Engine weight?
4) anything I need to be cautious of that's not obvious- or is obvious come to that
Thanks
Alan
Cheers
Alan

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Re: TD21 Engine removal

Postby RichardWallach » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Alan,

Give Chris Prince a call. He must have done dozens of these given the nature of his business. I have always found him to be very willing to give advice.

Regards,

Richard
Melbourne

durhamsmudger
Name: Alan Smith

Re: TD21 Engine removal

Postby durhamsmudger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Ive removed the engine , so for future reference .
Between the Engine and Auto box there is a an adapter plated . there is a hole in the engine flange just above the starter housing this is where you access the bolts --- dont touch the ones with the locking plate , they are part of the fluid coupling /starter ring assembly
that's it! the engine is now ready to be split
Note
take note of which bolt goes where in the bell housing as there are several different lengths, also if you dont replace the bottom two after the gearbox has been removed, you will get a sump leak.
Cheers
Alan

Return to “TD, TE and TF”