Engine Bay Colour

For all TD 21, TE 21, TF 21 and TC108G cars
durhamsmudger
Name: Alan Smith

Engine Bay Colour

Postby durhamsmudger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi
I'm about to prepare to paint my TD21 Series 1 engine bay , as it stands it looks like it's been hand painted Matt black ?? Is this the original bay colour ?
I was thinking of painting it the same as the body colour ( dark blue) I would appreciate what other members think of the two options
Ta
Cheers
Alan

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Re: Engine Bay Colour

Postby RichardWallach » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:11 am

Alan,
In David Culshaw's book - Alvis Three Litre in Detail there is a picture of the engine bay of a TD21 on page 89. The colour appears to me to be matt black. The cars I have seen have been matt black. That said on page 79 there a red car with a red engine bay. It is quite clearly a repaint.
You may also like to do a Google images search - Alvis TD21 engine bay - you will get number of very good images.

Personally I prefer matt black.

Regards,

Richard
Melbourne

Philip
Name: Philip Olden

Postby Philip » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:33 am

Originally they are painted matt black

durhamsmudger
Name: Alan Smith

Postby durhamsmudger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks , it's a bit of a dilemma really, by painting it Matt black it's like saying the engine bay is something that should be locked away and never seen , painting it the same as the body colour you're losing originality and move to a later era but is is more pleasant to look at if everything appears shiny and new. Its maybe a compromise say Satin Black ?
Cheers
Alan

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Postby RichardWallach » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Alan,

A good outcome, I agree.

Richard

Philip
Name: Philip Olden

Postby Philip » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am

I think satin black may look like you tried to paint it as original but got it slightly wrong. It’s a compromise which fails on both the criteria you describe. Personally, I think new Matt Black still looks good, especially with the gloss black rocker cover and chrome.

Return to “TD, TE and TF”