TD21 Ser II Wiper Motor

For all TD 21, TE 21, TF 21 and TC108G cars
timeveritt
Name: Timothy Everitt

TD21 Ser II Wiper Motor

Postby timeveritt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:55 pm

My wiper motor seems very tired and operates very slowly, sometimes not at all if the windscreen is actually dry. Chris Prince tells me that these motors are in the "hens teeth" category. Does anyone know where I might be able to get my original motor rebuilt/rewound? Failing that, does anyone have a serviceable one they might sell me?

Almost as an aside, were they fitted to any other cars?

Tim.

Philip
Name: Philip Olden

Re: TD21 Ser II Wiper Motor

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:03 pm

I don't think they are that rare - the motor is a standard Lucas DR3, plenty available on Fleabay and other classic car parts sites

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Postby RichardWallach » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Tim,

Send me an email privately and I will forward to you an article I wrote on the subject. The motor is just one part of the system. The cable system unless serviced is probably caked in old grease which puts a significant load on the motor. Within the motor itself the reciprocating mechanism is probably working against the same issue. A thorough clean and lubrication with a mix of oil and grease may be all that is required. Besides time the only other cost may be for a new set of brushes for the motor.

Richard Wallach
Melbourne

johnlayzell
Name: John Layzell

Postby johnlayzell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Empathize completely with those who wish mechanical things to work as they should, but my one word response is - "Rain-X"
Properly applied and maintained, far superior to my modern Honda's wipers!
1925 SC12/50
1937 SP25 VDP Saloon
1970 Peking to Paris Rally VW Beetle

Return to “TD, TE and TF”