Rear bumper

For Speed 20, Speed 25, 3.5 Litre and Crested Eagle cars
NeilWillatt
Name: Neil Willatt

Rear bumper

Postby NeilWillatt » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 pm

I've just taken my rear bumper off for re-chroming. On stripping down I found no weights in the ends. When I did the front bumper last year there was about a kg in each end. Does anybody know whether there should be weights in the rear ?

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Re: Rear bumper

Postby RichardWallach » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:11 am

Neil,

My understanding is that the bars, and I think of Wilmot Breedon manufacture, were only fitted to the front in order to reduce front end vibration. This was not a problem at the rear axle.

Richard
Melbourne

NeilWillatt
Name: Neil Willatt

Postby NeilWillatt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks Richard, My thoughts had been taking me in that direction, but its good to have confirmation.

shaun matthews
Name: shaun matthews

Postby shaun matthews » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

My 1935 SC C&E sports Does have weights on the rear bumper. The original sales brochure shows only a front bumper but you can find plenty of photo's on google of Speed models with rear bumpers - generally later (Sp20SC onward) models by VdP, C&E and Charlesworth - where a bumper is fitted they all have end weights as per mine. The spare parts catalogue does not list a rear bumper. They may have been standardised later than my car but I suspect that rear bumpers were either retrofitted or sold as options. This doesn't define the correct answer but the weights do look right even if they have no purpose and seem to be relatively common.

Angus D'Arcy-Drake
Name: Angus D'Arcy-Drake

Postby Angus D'Arcy-Drake » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 am

My Speed 25 had a rear bumper, but no weights.

Return to “Speed Models”