Another marathon for a little progress!

For Firefly and Firebird cars
FLYJCW
Name: John Whiteside

Another marathon for a little progress!

Postby FLYJCW » Wed May 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Carrying on with the brakes saga I next tackled the handbrake, it was a rust welded mess. However I have fitted a new piece in the chassis so on with making the quadrant piece. I hacked it out of 4mm steel after making careful drawings and checking the angles and sizes. A quick dip in the zinc bath and it was ready to fit! Took a full day of my time! Then the ratchet which fortunately was in good enough nick when cleaned up as was the ratchet pawl. They both show galvanic corrosion patterns I think! The hand brake sliding mechanism was frozen solid and violence was called to dissemble it, including wrecking the slider screws. This was a nice little turning job, see pics and then into the zinc bath again. Sounds easy but it took ages, I was careful to flatten all sliding surfaces and adjust clearances on the special bolts and I now have a very smooth mechanism. The Nickel plating on the hand release lever was tatty so I removed it, zinc plated it polished it and clear lacquered it for now. I intend getting the car finished and driving and then go back doing cosmetics such as Nickel and Chrome plating as required....... they take ages at the platters and I want to progress for now. The zinc will stop things rusting until then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Firefly and Firebird”