Otter Switch

Alvis Parts Wanted
RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Otter Switch

Postby RichardWallach » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 am

I'm looking for a good working original type switch in order to complete the conversion of my early TA21 from a Solex to twin SU setup albeit some 64 years after most of them were done.

Richard
Melbourne

Peter Martin
Name: Peter Martin

Re: Otter Switch

Postby Peter Martin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:58 am

Richard

Presumably the usual suspects, RT,CP, etc., can't help.50/60's Jaguars and others used a similar set up and having googled it there seem to be a no. of similar looking modern equivalents used to drive cooling fans. There may have been a bad batch around in the '60's because my TE went through about 4 very quickly but has been fine for the last 20+ years. Alvis did not fit the thermo switch to the TF,perhaps fed up with warranty claims & the difficulty of changing the switch? Control of the choke was delegated to the driver who has a little light to remind him he has it on. The wiring diagram is also suitably amended .
regards
Peter

shaun matthews
Name: shaun matthews

Postby shaun matthews » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 pm

My other (not quite so!) old car, a 1976 AC3000ME, uses an otter switch to drive the elec fans - Ive just fitted a new one from LMA motorsports they are available in 25mm - 50mm dia and called Engine Fan Switches - LMAautoparts.com, email info@LMAautoparts.com, phone number is a national rate number so you may not be able to call fromAaus but its 08453 131504 in the UK.

Hope this helps

Shaun

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Postby RichardWallach » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks Peter and Shaun for your suggestions. Luck was with me and I managed to pick up a NOS one and it works perfectly.

Richard
Melbourne

Return to “Parts Wanted”